Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Next Generation: Our Story Continues


My grandsons visited tonight.


As with anyone my age, I have become increasingly aware of how time advances over the course of a lifetime.



When you're a child, a "Grandpa" is an unimaginably old creature. For my three grandsons, I realize I am that creature now.



Of course, as these things go, I'm still a relatively young unimaginably old creature, at least in my own eyes.



They can't understand that many of the people I knew in my youth are gone. More pass away every year. In fact, several have died recently. But none of this is knowable to the babies, nor should it be.



The day will come, according to the natural order of things, when they'll lose me. But they don't need to know about that for years yet. And I'll do my best to help them create memories of time with me that allows the Grandpa image to settle into their memories, as my grandfather occupies mine.

He was a forbidding figure, but those were different times, he was an immigrant, and I was probably an overly sensitive kid to any sign of disapproval from others.

My grandsons need not worry about a repeat performance; I couldn't be my grandfather, as I viewed him -- so remote and alien -- as I look down into their upturned faces, meeting their questioning eyes.

"Who are you, Grandpa?"

"Let me tell you a story. It begins a long time ago in a place that's quite far away called Michigan. One time there was another little boy, not so different from the way you are, actually. Shall I continue?"

4 comments:

Anjuli said...

I loved the pics of your grandchildren- and this entire post! I didn't have the privilege of growing up around my grandparents- 3 of them died before I was 9...the one grandparent who was left, my grandmother- I had the privilege of getting to know after I was 18-- she left a great impact on me (positive)- Grandparents are soo important as they tie the past with the future.

I know they will want you to continue the story!!

mrgrimm said...

Great post and great pics. Cute kids! I can still remember when the hoop seemed 20 feet tall. You're lucky to get to spend time with them.

Much has changed for grandfathers in the past generation. Babies and young kids were always the domain of women, even when I was growing up in the '70s. Men didn't change diapers, didn't put kids down for naps, didn't handle the constant babysitting/discipline (e.g. if someone was yelling your full name from your porch, it was your mom.), etc.

I remember my grandfathers on both sides seemed stolid and remote, even though both were also warm, genial, funny men. I got to connect with my grandmothers on a one-on-one basis, but not as much with my grandfathers. I think grandpas have it better now.

Enjoy the kids before they grow up to be tweens and teens!

David Weir said...

Thanks for these comments. Maybe all of us engage in a lifelong struggle of how to tell our own story? Even to ourselves. It may be that grandchildren simply bring up the question more vividly...

Anonymous said...

Great pictures David. They are growing up so quickly. Hard to believe our oldest grands will be 21 within the year. Glad we have the two little tag-a-longs.

Grandpa was a little scary. Don't think he meant to be but all he had to do was look at me when I was little and living with them and I would be in tears.

Love, Nance