Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Little Things


The sky may be clouding over as a new and reportedly massive storm approaches the coast, but don't tell the buds on this delicate tree. It is the picture of hope.

As I was cooking bacon recently, I remembered how my friend used to use chopsticks for tasks like that. I've picked up most of what I know about cooking from the women in my life; strike that, all of what I know.

"Your partners have all been really nice people," one of the kids told me recently. That is true, and a fact worth remembering in low moments. This is the first time in a while that I've let myself do so.

But in general, I just remember the good times, and the good things, even little things like how to use chopsticks rather than blunter instruments while cooking. It's never been characteristic of me to stay bitter or hold a grudge for long.

Instead, I forgive easily. After all, all I have to do is reflect upon my own behavior over the years to remember that I've no excuse to cast the first stone.

That said, I do miss people intensely once they are gone. Apparently much more intensely than they miss me. As much as the big things of life, though, it is the tiny details and moments that remain with me the longest.

Because those are all that are left.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

It is the little things which linger with us the most. This update has really given me food for thought.

As far as the weather- up here, it is snowing- well it was snowing and now snow is everywhere.