Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Fences, Neighbors, Connections

Thanks to a gap in our fence, among the bamboo, my neighbor's puppy came over for a visit yesterday, and again today. Yesterday her Mom showed up to retrieve the animal; today, it was her Dad. The young woman who owns this dog has just graduated from college and she acquired the dog over the Internet. (Something I admit I didn't realize you could do.)

This young dog enlivened our past two afternoons as my daughter and I struggled to finish her final two school projects (science and history) as her sixth grade year draws to its end.

It's funny about dogs, and kids, and neighbors and school work. One way or another way, it is all about community. Do you know your neighbors very well? In small towns this is a foolish question, (of course you do), but in big cities like this one, knowing your neighbors isn't always such an easy goal to accomplish.

Thanks to that little dog, however, for the first time in eight years of living here, I now know Wei (the Mom) and Gabriel (the Dad). I already know their daughter, "B" because I've helped her with some of her academic work, since she is a communications major at a local college.

But there are downsides of getting to know your neighbors. Now that my 12-year-old has been interacting with B's puppy, I am under increasing pressure to adopt a pet myself.

Hmmm. Sounds like we will soon to be making yet another scouting trip to the SPCA, and I wonder whether the lower-maintenance option, a kitty, might be acceptable?

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

great post about connections and how they are formed...also, I think whether it is a cat or dog- your daughter will love the animal chosen! :)