Thursday, June 02, 2011

Act Three Opens

It's always a nice feeling when one of your articles gets picked up by Yahoo News.

I'm excited that I've finally decided to launch my own company; today I met with a brilliant designer along with my good friend who has been urging me to do this for some time.

Tonight, I secured the domain name that will be where my website will be located. Next steps are to create the content that will reside there. As I prepare the launch, I'll post news here.

The reason this is so exciting to me is that I am finally joining the entrepreneurial revolution I have been covering for half a year now.

One of my reasons for going into business for myself is to be able to continue being the available parent in my kids' lives 8:30-6:30 every work day. Their Mom has a job and therefore isn't able to be on the scene during those 50 critical hours, just as I wasn't in the recent past.

Meanwhile, you know kids. A big history project requires a trip to an art supply store and many hours of supervision as she writes a long essay, creates a poster, as well as a 3-D representation.

Hungry teenage boys confronted with an empty refrigerator call you up at 3 pm two days in a row seeking lunch. One day, Big Mouth Burger. The next day it's Escape From New York.

Meanwhile, there are shirts, pants, shoes, dresses, boots, and cookies, all of which require Dad and a car.

The way I work, as a writer and a consultant, is in two-hour bursts, which allows me to schedule my professional and personal obligations throughout the day (and night).

If my startup starts up as well as it should, I'll be hiring people within months. That will kick off a whole new era, here in Act Three of my life. Stay tuned. More than that, if any of what I have said is at all applicable to anyone who reads it, consider starting your own company too.

This is a rare moment -- even with the unending recession smothering many of our traditional options, there is a window of opportunity, thanks to disruptive technologies, to pursue your own dream. If you think I can help you do that, contact me!

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Looks like congratulations are in order- first for the article which Yahoo picked up....and then for the start up company!!

CONGRATS!!!