Thursday, August 11, 2011

Time Being Relative


There are reasons to appreciate the perspective of a twelve-year-old over that of someone four or five times older, and vice-versa, but in the spirit of the former, today I enjoyed driving my youngest daughter back home from a vacation with friends up in Sonoma County.

She sees everything with fresh eyes. She said she'd never seen the fog rolling over the Marin Headlands like a waterfall today. Or that house way up above Sausalito (probably because she's usually in the backseat.)


But my favorite was about the unripe pear we plucked from a tree up-country before we began our long drive south.

It was firm, too firm to eat, and I told her with a bit of time it would become nicely edible.

Apparently, she interpreted that to mean time in the short-term sense.

As we reached San Francisco, she grabbed the pear and pressed it. "Feels still the same, no softer yet."

No indeed. Not quite yet.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

This has put a smile on my face...I love seeing the various perspectives we have at different times in our lives. (or the interpretations we have of what others say to us)