Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Julie, Julia, Cal and Me

Maybe I no longer recall when or with whom I first saw the wonderful movie, Julie and Julia, but I often cook meals according to what I learned from it. Especially omelettes.

But there is also the question of pot roasts, and when it comes to cooking those, I turn to my oldest son for advice. He cooked a delicious pot roast for our extended family a few nights ago, just before Christmas, in Sacramento.

I may also used to have known how to cook a pot roast, but if so, I have forgotten, just as I have forgotten when or with whom I saw the movie I'm watching, off and on, tonight, while toggling between stations on my TV.

Why the back and forth? Because my oldest son's alma mater, Cal, is playing in a bowl game, and I want to root for his team to win.

Memory is a funny thing.

The space in your brain apparently becomes limited, so that you can only remember a finite number of things, or maybe you only want to remember certain things and forget others. So, faced with these two competing programs, and trying to balance watching both, my brain chooses to remember what my son cares about more than whoever that may have been who was with me the first time I saw Julie and Julia may have cared about.

So, back to the pot roast and back to the Cal game it is! Sorry Julie and Julia -- great movie, but maybe another time for the likes of you.

-30-

No comments: