Thursday, December 29, 2011

Your Memory is My Memory



A funny thing happened on the way from here to finishing the ebook I am writing on How to Write Your Memoir.

First, I should say, the book is now 28% done, which is much further along than I have ever previously gotten in one of these efforts. So maybe this one will ultimately come to fruition; at my present rate, somewhere late in Q-1, 2012.

Regardless, this is what happened. As I attempt to explain to people who presumably do not primarily -- or even at all -- consider themselves writers how to approach a memoir project, I find myself increasingly drawing on other people's stories, not necessarily mine, to illustrate the methodology that I think they should consider.

I include some of my own stories as well, of course, but as this phenomenon of using incidents from the lives of others has become apparent, I started wondering about it.

As a journalist, naturally, I've spent over four decades telling other people's stories, so there is nothing on the face of it that should be strange about any of this. But I now realize that I sometimes remember the stories others have told me about their lives more vividly than I remember my own history.

In this way, perhaps I have served as a receptor, a vessel collecting the memories of others in order to better pass them on to those who care about them, or in a universal way, to all of us who care about each other, collectively, in a manner that is both bigger and more enduring than the littleness that each of us presumes our own identity to represent in the greater scheme of things?

Maybe. I don't know. This is a new insight. There are so many stories I could tell you about other people. Stories of all kinds, including many they no doubt would prefer I not tell.

As for my own journey, after so many years listening and cataloging the world around me, I sometimes come up empty about the real me, the one who watches, witnesses, records, and describes, but in the end remains alone, invisible, unknown and just perhaps unknowable -- even by himself.

Which would be a tragedy, perhaps, unless his only true role was to tell your story, not his. In which case it would be a blessing, no?

p.s. Image above under consideration for cover of my book. Idea is that a memoir is but a slice of your life, much like seaglass. Feedback welcome.


-30-

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

I'm excited about your e-book ... can't wait!

It was interesting...the insights you've come up with as you are working on it. It reminded me of a quote, I think by Benjamin Franklin, "either write about something worth reading or do something worth writing about"

-- the unique thing about you is that you have the ability to do both (and have done both)= so you do write other people's stories and you are good at writing them, but you also have the amazing ability to have lived a life worth writing about.

Anjuli said...

p.s.

not sure about the cover of the memoir...I get where you are coming with the idea of the sea glass, just not sure if it 'clicks' as a cover for your book about memoirs