Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday, Good Day

It was another wonderfully complicated day, seeing old friends in the morning and at night, recalling other times but looking forward to our lives as older men as well. "There are things about getting older that aren't so bad," one of them said to me.

It's true, but that's something us oldsters best keep to ourselves.

What I especially love about the friends I've known for 30 years or more is how rich our shared history is, and the trust we still share, despite many ups and downs, and times drifting apart for a while, when we do reconnect.

These days I am all about reconnecting. Life is to short for anything else, and more fool to those who don't comprehend what I am talking about!

It was also school conference day. My lovely 13-year-old daughter had to talk about herself, never an easy thing at her age, before her teachers and parents today, at her school. Her task was to evaluate how she is doing class by class.

She speaks these days with more confidence than ever before, looking up at her teachers, not down at the table, enunciating clearly, not mumbling. She mixes some positives about her progress as a student with her ever-present self-deprecation.

In all, I thought, a very mature set of presentations for the young woman, who, I noticed as they stood up afterwards, is now just a shade shorter than her Mom, at 5'6".

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Sounds like a wonderful day- I love reconnecting- as you said the history shared is so rich!!

Your lovely daughter is growing into a fine young woman- and her father is definitely someone to thank for that positive growth!! Isn't it amazing how they just grow before our eyes??!!