Friday, March 02, 2012

Friday Nights Around Here

My youngest son loves the Godfather movies, which are playing on AMC this weekend, and he asked for his favorite dinner -- Italian spaghetti and meatballs -- while watching them.

After cooking that, I drove across town to watch his brother practice soccer under the lights tonight. The spring season for the youth academy club team, on which he is a starter, is beginning.

As I walked onto the pitch at Crocker-Amazon, there were dozens of teams and hundreds of players out there playing soccer. But I recognized him instantly, far across the way, by his crouch.

The way he defends is classic. He bends his tall body low, legs poised to bounce left or right, eyes alert for the striker's next move.

He's one of the very best at what he does -- defending -- around here. And he is a veteran now on the Seals U-17 squad.

Tonight's practice and Sunday's night's scrimmage, on the pitch nearest my house, are warmups for a major tournament next weekend, the Diablo Cup.

His team will play three games and I hope to see all three. I'll be jet-lagged, no doubt, because I will be arriving back in SF from a quick trip to NY for a board meeting this next week.

But that's then. Now is now.

Tonight my daughter and I, just before she fell asleep, found that one of our old favorite movies, The Scorpion King, was playing on TV. We used to watch this together. Although ostensibly a violent movie, thus one of her brothers' fav's when they were younger, it is also a romantic movie, which is the what she and I like most.

Especially the part played by the lovely Kelly Hu.

-30-

No comments: