Saturday, February 04, 2012

What If...

...We could freeze time, make it stand still, back it up, replay our lives?

I realize that if the human race survives the climate changes that are coming on this planet, by a century from now, that question will probably seem naive. But stuck here in the present, when the problem of time remains unsolved, it's a way to focus attention on the only two parts of time we have any control over -- the present, and our view of the past.

It's a Saturday night, which means I am alone. Ever since my last girlfriend left me, abruptly, a ways back, my Saturday nights have become empty of human company, and therefore time slots open to fill however I wish to fill them.

Back when she was still hanging around, we'd go to movies and eat meals out, the typical things couples do. Sometimes, we'd take in a live performance; or stay home, cook and watch TV.

Just like everyone else.

But for more months than I care to count now, Saturday nights are nights only for me to be with me.

Tonight, in that spirit, I have decided to revisit my childhood and make this a hockey night.

Unless you hail from the frozen north, hockey is probably not one of your passions. But I hail from that frozen north, so it is one of mine.

Accordingly, I'm watching my college team, the Michigan Wolverines, play hockey on TV, and soon, I'll watch my professional heroes, the Detroit Red Wings, in a second game.

It's just like being a kid again, back home in Detroit and Bay City. Me and my dad, and maybe my sisters, watching hockey. My Canadian dad.

A long time ago and a long way away. Some things change. Others don't. You can take the kid our of Michigan, his dad can die, his sisters can live far away, but you can't take Michigan (or hockey) out of the kid.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

when you can stop time (freeze time) please let me know - as I need EXTRA time :)

It is nice, even though we can't go back in time (yet)- you were able to recapture time spent watching hockey...in a sense, you revisited days gone by and held on to a bit of your past. Next best thing to a time machine!