Sunday, January 29, 2012

G-O-A-L!


When you're part of a team, you rise and fall with your team.

I played softball for 29 years with an outfit called the Michigan Mafia. Although I never totaled it all up, even though I was the team stat-head, I'm pretty sure we lost just a few more games than we won over those decades.

We made the playoffs a few times, and the championship game just once, where we got creamed.

My only claim to fame personally is I went 3 for 3 in that championship game, in September 1994, just a few weeks after my second son was born. (He was at the game.)

So I can say my lifetime batting average in championship games stands at 1.000. And there's no chance it will go down from there because my playing days are long over.

***

Now on to a real athlete and his accomplishments, not just his Dad's. Aidan's winter soccer regimen consists of futsol, an inside game played om basketball courts.

It's very fast-paced and intense. Today's opponent for Aidan's team, the Seals, was Jamestown, the local powerhouse.

The Seals had never beaten Jamestown before in four seasons of trying until today.

Aidan scored a goal and played great defense as the Seals prevailed with a goal in the final the seconds, 8-7.

***

Sports, in reality or as metaphor, will only take you so far in life. What really matters is connection. By that, I mean, humans connecting with one another.

I tell stories like those I post here, and at other blog sites, hoping just to connect.

If you are a parent, you know about the pride of seeing your child do well. If you are competitive on any level, you know how nice it is to win. If you are breathing, you know how important it is to not feel alone.

At the base, this blog is simply about trying to remind anyone who stops by that you are never actually alone, even when you may be physically alone. You can always visit a place like this, read a story like this, like it or not like it, depending on your preferences, react, comment if you wish, but remember:

These stories are for you. Not me.

Love, David

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Bravo to the Seals- and your son!

And a special cheer for you and this post. Your ending to this post hit the nail on the head- about people needing to connect- because ultimately this is what it is all about.