Thursday, May 31, 2012

Take Your Kids To Work Day

For as long as I've been a father I've taken my kids to work with me from time to time. Every one of the six has visited my office (when I've had an office) and they've all also went on at least one business trip with me somewhere in the U.S. The older kids also traveled with me (and their Mom) overseas.

These days, of course, I don't have a conventional job. I work for myself.

That doesn't stop me from taking the kids to work, when an opportunity arises.

Tonight, one did, so I did. I took my youngest son to a demo featuring startups down at Stanford. These are groups of people who have a much better chance than most to become successful, which in our society's value system, means rich.

He listened to all of the presentations and had some interesting comments about their companies and products.

Being a parent, these days perhaps more than before, means exposing our kids to as many of the new options as possible. Who knows whether they can become entrepreneurs; whether they have the urge to go in that direction, or the perseverance to do so.

But I figure the least I can do is open a window on this new world for my kids, by taking them to the virtual office whenever I can.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I think it is always good to open our kids up to all their options- when my son was in his teens- I helped him get an internship at a hospital- then later he went on a 2 week trip with a geologist - he knew he wanted to be involved in science and had not made up his mind- in the end he landed on physics & renewable energy ideas- but I think all those opportunities to try and learn first hand helped him make his final decision.