Thursday, June 07, 2012

Brief Encounters

At a party on the waterfront I ran into the State's Lt. Governor, and former mayor of this city, Gavin Newsom. I haven't spoken to him in a decade or so, but he was charming as always, and complained bitterly about his boss, Gov. Jerry Brown.

He said Jerry drives him crazy.

Afterward, I thought to myself how little like the rest of the country California really is. Ever since I arrived here, over 40 years ago, I've had experiences like this one.

You walk into a room, and there stands an impossibly famous politician, actor, writer, or athlete. You talk to them; they talk to you. There's usually little celebrity worship expected or expressed.

It's a flat society out here, on a social level, though hardly on a financial level.

I saw a few old friends as well, and hung around just long enough to sample the food.

I've always hated cocktail parties and the chatter that seems required at them, but I have to admit that they are where the business of our society happens, and I should go to more of them, and hang around longer.

Rather, I come and go quickly, savor the brief memories, and write about it all.

No comments: