Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Winners!


What can you say when you see Santa in the middle of summer, perched on the corner of Bryant and 20th? I always wondered what the fat dwarf did this time of year.

My youngest boys and I watched the All Star Game tonight. As we did so, I thought to myself, you cannot really understand America unless you understand baseball.

It all comes down to that. For most of the past 150 years, baseball has been the one thing that consistently has defined the center of the American spirit.

That seems even more important these days, when our politics have gone seriously awry. Exhibit A: Why would I, an inherently political person, be avoiding commenting on this year's Presidential race?

Because it really does not matter. As long as we, as a people, continue to demonize one another, right against left and left against right, I am no longer interested in adding my perspective.

But when it comes to baseball, I am allowed to be a partisan, and tonight, the boys and I saw the utter destruction of the American League All Stars by four National League All Stars -- all Giants.

It was enough to make us believe that this might just turn out to be a very welcome replay of the 2010 season, when the San Francisco Giants won their first World Series Championship.

I am predicting here and now that this fall will bring us our second.

Game on. Much more interesting than politics.

-30-

p.s. Obama will win.

No comments: