Sunday, February 03, 2013

Not Such a Super Weekend

As I walked back from a tech event tonight through the Mission, there were cops, helicopters overhead, and clumps of disappointed 49er fans. They'd come oh so close to a great comeback but fell short and lost the Super Bowl.

The kids and I watched the game until the long blackout halted action with the 49ers trailing 28-6 in the third quarter. At that point, their prospects seemed weak.

When their Mom picked them up, I commiserated with them that this, the first Super Bowl in their memory featuring the hometown team, seemed destined for defeat.

"Of course, you're a pessimist, Dad," one of them told me.

So I agreed and corrected myself: "A comeback always is possible." Over the next few minutes of the game, before I left for my event, the 49ers closed the gap to 23-28, with lots of game time remaining.

My goodness, I thought, maybe there will be magic, and my kids will experience it.

Not to be. At the tech event, we monitored the score on our smart phones. In the end, it was a loss for the home team.

We were gathered to talk about other things than football. A number of successful and famous people were in the room; the conversation was fascinating.

And yet my mind kept drifting back to my kids and their disappointment. It was only a game, and the games go on.

But it's amazing how seriously so many of us take this stuff.

To be honest, not really me. I am not a big pro football fan. The game is too violent and too "professional" for me. I like amateur sports far better.

But I do understand the dynamic of this city, especially its proletariat sections. And I know who is hurting tonight. Let's just hope they don't commit too many crimes and that no one gets hurt. No game is worth that.

-30-

No comments: