Thursday, February 07, 2013

Weekly Challenges

I hugged my youngest daughter and said 'good luck' this afternoon -- very early tomorrow morning she flies off to Costa Rica to work in a village for a week, part of a school program. As I walked away, I wiped away tears...still no good at managing these transitions after all these years and six kids!

Today in Safeway one of those guys delivering goods on a large cart inadvertently slammed into me, hurting my shoulder, side and hand. I didn't notice the blood until I was checking out, so I quickly ran to buy a box of bandaids.

Two veins slightly cut on my hand, quite a ugly mess, but nothing serious.

But it is not funny how people start running into you as you age and become more vulnerable to injury. Seems to happen every week.

The other day, driving my daughter home from school, my clutch failed. Some $1633 and two days later, the car is back. The common wisdom is the clutch should have made it to 150,000 miles. My car has 120,000.

That's one of the costs of living in a city of hills.

Next week, I'm off to New York, possibly for the last time in a long time. The situation that has allowed me to go there since 1989 twice a year is changing, which saddens me.

I met with an old journalist friend this week, quite an accomplished fellow. He, and everyone we both know, with our backgrounds is struggling to find work and make ends meet.

Anyone who thought journalism was a glamorous career choice needs to update their understanding. Actually, it's never been a profession kind to its elder statesmen and women. It's just a lot more unfriendly now.

Tomorrow, I get to be a grandfather again -- one of the highlights of any week. I love the little children's smiles and laughter, which comes so easily, between their tears when they fall and get hurt.

One moment one extreme; the next, another. Me, I just try to stay calm and keep moving on.

-30-

No comments: