Saturday, March 16, 2013

Decision Weekend

This is the time when kids around here are supposed to find out which colleges or high schools they have gotten into. My high school senior got bad news -- he was not accepted at his first choice for college.

My youngest child got no news -- the local school system is so inept it did not get the notices out in the mail early enough yesterday for them to be delivered today by the U.S. postal system. So she has no idea yet where she will be attending high school in the fall.

By the time you are my age, the pending transitions seem momentous, even though you know that way back there, at their ages, these decisions by society seem far, far greater than they actually are.

I'm quite certain my kids will thrive at whatever school they move on to. My job as their parent is to reassure them that this will be true -- or that if it proves to be untrue, we will do something about that.

Did I mention that I am retiring next month. Yes, I have reached "full retirement age," as defined by the Social Security Administration.

Once I "retire," I intend to get back to work, of course. There will never be a retirement for the likes of me.

-30-

No comments: