Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Econ 101, Democracy, and Hope

Apologies to anyone stopping by here that I've been posting infrequently lately, although according to Google, that is absolutely no one. That's right, their analytics say I have zero visitors.

Oh well, I was always writing this to perfect my memoir voice, after all, and it would be best if stopped blogging and got down to memoir writing, for all of our sakes.

This has been just satisfying enough to remove the pressure that otherwise would have built up to actually write somethng tangible, and hopefully, monetizeable.

It's spring. The cat is recovering. My high school senior will know by this weekend which colleges have accepted him (six so far). He's also in love.

I have found a company for him to invest in. He's interested in economics, the economy, the stock market, interest rates, investments, loans, financing. More on that soon...

These are new interests, based (as usual at his age) on a great teacher and a course (American Democracy) taught through the lens of economics.

Democracy all boils down to economics, of course. I'm rereading White House Burning in that context.

***

Last night, at an awards ceremony, I saw old friends, including one who won a career achievement award. He thanked lots of people for helping him early on, including me, three decades ago.

Three decades!

If you are younger than 40 and reading this, trust me, time relentlessly pushes you sideways (or backwards) as it marches on, caring not how that makes you feel.

Each new season brings rewards. Tonight, at 70 degrees, my backyard plum tree's leaves are sprouting before my eyes.

***

Talking about investments with my son gives me hope. The company I will help him invest in is about hope, about our common future. It's about democracy.

No comments: