Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday Night at the Park

Up early to work in the newsroom at KQED all day; posted a bunch of stories. But once that was done, I got home, donned my Giants hat and got ready for an evening at the baseball stadium. If you've never been there, San Francisco's baseball park is one of the best in the land.

And if you have never discovered why baseball is this nation's greatest sport, well, you still really need to try and figure that out.

I've been working too hard and worrying too much lately, and I really, really needed to go to a baseball game. It was not the greatest of games (the Giants lost) but baseball features a long season (162 games before the playoffs) so there is still plenty of time for the World Series Champions to get back to where they belong.
The main pleasure was spending the time at the game with my delightful youngest son and his friend. They had fun watching the game, eating what is without doubt the best food available at any baseball park in America, discussing political issues, and arguing about a bunch of things.

Walking back to the car afterwards, we passed the old Rolling Stone headquarters and the current Wired headquarters along Third Street. Since both Dylan and Elizabeth appear to be taller than me (I'm in the process of shrinking), I thought a lot about the specialness of our youth and how much the future is theirs, and how I really must make sure to tell them about what history here touched me, so they can carry that forward if they care to.

Or they can just smile their beautiful smiles or smirk their beautiful smirks, be themselves, and hopefully make this world a better place.

BTW, Dylan's new haircut is due to Elizabeth's handy work -- the first buzz cut she ever gave anyone.  As a former long-haired anti-war protester from the '60s, I have no comment. But I do get it.

-30-



No comments: