Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pork and Beans

When I was a kid, we always heard this was the food that bums ate. I guess cans of pork (probably mainly fat, actually) and beans were affordable. The concept I retained is that the guys who hopped trains and ate over campfires next to the tracks had this for dinner,

Anyway, I do not recall ever tasting pork and beans until a church trip when we canoed down a Michigan river. The canoe I was in tipped over and I was cold and wet by the time we cooked our dinner over a campfire.

A can of pork and beans.

I've gotta tell you that all these years later I still remember how good it tasted.

So much so that today, while shopping and stocking up for my kids' dinners these coming nights, I bought a can of baked beans. When I opened it, if I am not mistaken, a piece of pork fat rolled out.

Then I added some hot dogs. But these were kosher beef hot dogs, so I'm sure I ruined the combo.

Still, it tastes pretty good right now, close to my memory.

-30-

No comments: