Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Inside the Fog Line

I battled the sun from my office to the Haight, but by the time I reached Kezar Stadium, where my daughter and her teammates were working out with their conditioning coach, we were under the cover of San Francisco's famous fog.

Afterwards, she and I got Chinese food from a nearby dive we discovered over the past year or so. We're both getting used to it just being the two of us now, with the boys out in Missoula. She gets to make all the choices (like what for dinner, what's on TV, etc.) where she used to have to contend with two older brothers.

Tonight she had a math question -- how to illustrate a real-life use of the concept (and formula) for a midpoint. I reminded her of our first trips up to Portland, when her sisters lived up there, and explained that when planning our first trip, I took the distance between SF and Portland, I found the nearest town to the midpoint in order to determine where we would stop the first night.

(I wanted us to make the drive in two days.)

She nodded and filled in her answer.

-30-

No comments: