Friday, January 30, 2015

One Book I'll Never Write

But if I did, it would be about what I have learned about managing people. When I look back over my career, now in its 49th year, I realize that I have slowly crafted a style that might work for others.

Mostly, it is about bottoms-up. In most organizations, the people at the bottom of the org chart do most of the real work. It is the opposite from the military model that still, stupidly, dominates US corporate culture.

This is a working-class perspective, but my own history, culture, and personality grows out of my experience as my father's only son.

In fact, we no longer have any organized working class in America. We don't even have much left of what used to be called a "middle class."

Increasingly, all we have are the very rich and the very poor. We are indeed a Third World country. With  a few exceptions.

I am one of those exceptions, perhaps. I am a boss whose workers call the shots.

I'm proud of that.

-30-

No comments: