Friday, August 07, 2015

Recommendation Letter

Julia just yesterday shared with her mother and me the following letter of recommendation from her high school art teacher written last February. This helped her get into Oxbow with a large scholarship. I've removed the teacher's name for privacy reasons.



13 February 2015

To Oxbow School of Art Admissions:

I am writing to recommend Julia Weir as a student the Oxbow School of Art Semester Program. Through my experience as a teaching artist and arts administrator in New York City and in the San Francisco Bay Area, I have mentored so many talented young artists. This young woman, though humble in cadence, outshines her peers through her technical skill and depth of thought. Accepting Julia would mean bringing into the Oxbow fold an intellectually vibrant mind yearning to be challenged, a stoic artist intent on communicating complex feeling through advancement in technical skill and a compassionate friend and leader of her peers. I strongly advise against forfeiting the opportunity to work with this cerebral, yet genuine, individual.

I met Julia last year as the teacher of her Art 1 class at Gateway High School, though she is now doing fabulous work in Tommy Becker’s Art 2 class. My first impression was of a serious, observant young woman, who was anxious to be intellectually challenged and allowed to explore beyond the limits of studio materials and methods. It was also clear to me from the start that her reflective practice manifests through an innate understanding of diverse materials. I learned that when given freedom to invent, Julia creates meaning through intentional blending of meditative observation of the world around her and the annuls of her imagination. Her work is anchored in feeling and concept, but free and playful in execution. I particularly admire the expressive quality of her marksmanship and the tactile quality of her surfaces.

Aside from knowing her as a student of the studio, I also know that Julia seeks and cherishes experiences building community. For the past several years, she has participated as a leader in a peer support group GirlVentures. She wants to continue to expand her community of young folks with whom she can build trusting and inspiring relationships.

Oxbow’s emphasis on independent studio practice, individual growth and mentorship and deep multidisciplinary learning (alongside and through the arts)--which I became familiar with during my work at the Oxbow Summer Program in 2007--resonates strongly with my own teaching and administrative practices. I know that in applying to Oxbow, Julia is in search of expanding her artistic skills, refining her artistic voice and connecting with other artists. I sincerely hope that the Oxbow community takes advantage of the opportunity to be touched by this generous and unique young artist. Please know I have full faith in her qualifications and her potential to thrive and inspire others to thrive.

Yours,

Obviously, I am proud of my daughter and I am also in awe of her absolute modesty. I assume most kids would have shared this letter immediately.

No comments: