Sunday, August 02, 2015

Summer Winds Down

It's just the beginning of August, but my youngest is getting ready to move away to her boarding school in about two and a half weeks. I have to help her get a few supplies -- bedding, rain boots(!), etc.

Why the "!"?

Because we are in the midst of an historic drought. Nevertheless, the weather people are predicting a massive El Nino this winter, which would mean massive rains. We will see.

This morning I booked a hotel room for Aidan and Zaira at the end of this month when they head back to college in Missoula. They will be staying in the same hotel just across the river from campus where Julia and I stayed last fall when we visited them there.

Dylan, of course, is not going back to Missoula. He is taking a gap year and trying to decide whether to take some classes at City College and work part-time, work full-time, or be a student full-time.

It is very hard for him to make these kinds of decisions.

Since Julia will be living up in Napa, I am happy Dylan will be around, and I will not have to live totally alone 24/7. I think that would not be a healthy situation for me. The past year, with the boys in Missoula, I relied on the nights and days Julia would visit to keep me balanced and not too lonely at home.

I would shop and cook for her and we would do some chores together. Dylan will be a particular joy to have here, because he watches sports on TV with me and loves my cooking.

-30-

No comments: