Saturday, September 19, 2015

Connecting This Way and That

Dylan and I got him a new iPhone today; his old one has been failing for a while. Then we got pizza at Escape From New York, a chain he and his siblings discovered back when I worked at Predictify in downtown Redwood City.

He got his contacts and photos transferred but thought that he had lost his music playlist (2,000 songs). Nope, eventually he located them.

Now he is playing video games and talking with Aidan in Missoula. We talked about how this kind of experience -- connecting with your brother when he is so far away via technology -- was never possible back when I was his age or for many decades afterward.

They can play together because we have xboxes in both locations.

These devices -- iPhones, xboxes -- cost money but to me the cost is not what matters. They are investments in family, in keeping siblings in touch with each other.

I had a long talk with Aidan who thinks he is doing well in his classes. The one he worries about, Chemistry, has a test on Tuesday.

Julia and her friends went to a movie last night and she apparently took them to one of favorite local diners, Whiz Burger, as part of squiring them around the city.

I hope to take them all to lunch tomorrow before they head back up to Napa.

These small domestic details may seem trivial, but to me, they are the essence of what life is about. When I was younger, I thought what mattered most were big ideas and accomplishments. Not that those are unimportant but now, for me at least, it is being connected to those in your circle of family and friends that matters most.

No comments: