Thursday, September 17, 2015

Home for the Weekend

I drove up Napa today to pick her up plus three other girls (from Georgia, Arizona and Washington) who all seem nice. When I arrived at her school, Julia ran out to see me, gave me a big hug and said,
"Dad, it is great to see you!" 

She obviously loves it up there. The kids are given a lot of freedom to set their own schedules and pick creative projects. The place is so small that everyone knows everyone else.

I didn't get to see any of her art projects but the dorm suite she shares with six others is very nice. This is obviously the right place for her to be at this point.

Dylan got back from the east coast today, too, so we all got Mexican food from El matate and he is spending the night here at my place; the girls at Connie's.

It was very hot in Napa and on the route home and traffic was heavy. the A-C in my old car is not working well and I felt bad for the girls, but they were gracious about it. As we arrived next to the Bay we opened the windows, noticed the fog entering SF and all breathed a sigh of comfortable relief.

As we came over the bridge Julia started pointing out the landmarks for her guests. She was obviously so proud and excited to tell them about her city. They were amazed by the many murals on buildings here in the Mission, as well as by the narrow, hilly streets of Bernal.

They plan to go to a movie, shop, and sight see all weekend. I will (happily) foot the bill. It is such a relief to see my 16-year-old back to her cheerful self and seeing her easily make new friends!

-30-

No comments: