Monday, August 22, 2016

Bureaucracy

Spending way too much for my taste of yet another Monday in Room 307 of the Hall of Justice. Most people only seem to get called for jury duty every few years, but I get called every single year. Someone must really want me to serve on a jury.

Inevitably, once I make it through all the way of the grueling process to sit in a judge's room as a potential juror, I always get dismissed by the prosecution. Who on that side wants an investigative reporter/editor on the jury?

This month, there was a screwup by the court two weeks ago and I had to waste another Monday dealing with this, only to find out later that week -- Thursday -- that my reporting responsibility had been delayed until today. That was because I had requested a deferment a month earlier due to our impending trip to Seattle for Peter and Claire's wedding and the court had not responded until I had spent that Monday-Thursday checking the court website, trying to find out whether to report.

If this round turns out the way it now appears, I will have to report again in two more weeks -- Tuesday, September 6 -- for a criminal trial that will last two weeks.

Whatever, I no longer care but I hope this bureaucratic nightmare somehow comes to some sort of end.

-30-

No comments: