Saturday, May 05, 2018

Remembering Someone Special

I'm up early today, can't sleep, thinking mainly about my former father-in-law, Carey Matthiessen, who died a year ago. Back east, the family is gathering for a remembrance. My two youngest, Dylan (22) and Julia (19), have been navigating the trains, subways, Lyfts, Ubers, taxis, and buses the past few days to get to the ceremony.

I'm proud of them, as West Coast kids, for their ability to figure out those systems, which differ in many ways from ours out here. But also for their family loyalty.

Personally, I miss Carey. He was a wonderful person to talk with -- he taught me all about raising oysters, his main preoccupation -- which requires almost as much attention as raising children. We were both aware of the analogies.

When you live a long life, you get the opportunity to meet many people, but only a handful in the end can be special in your world. Carey was one of the special ones in my life. We had many great conversations.

-30-

No comments: