Sunday, January 13, 2019

My Time

Today is a Sunday, which means I don't have to go to work. My only responsibility is to receive a delivery of food and supplies from Safeway about a half hour from now.

Yesterday my friend Tomoko stopped by to deliver me a new amulet. I do not know what this amulet actually means other than it supposedly keeps me safe and costs $34 a year. I'm to place it at the highest place possible in my living room. I also got my old car to start and reparked it on the Thursday side of the street, a major accomplishment.

I need to replace one of my security lamps out front but am not tall enough to do so. I'll wait on one of my sons to help me. These are motion-sensitive lamps that are meant to protect my security.

I long to get my time back. Having to work day after day is draining me. There is a television in my office so I can monitor the news.

The news is all bad. We have a President who is crazy. I find myself muting the signal rather than listening to him.

But I am a journalist. Tomorrow I am to deliver a talk about ethics to our incoming group of interns. I will start with a story. It's from a couple of years ago. My video producer, Adam, was re-investigating a crime that happened more than 40 years ago.

He was at the crime scene, a muddy creek in the East Bay. But it was surrounded by a chain-link fence. The sign said "No Trespassing." He called me when he spotted a hole in the fence.

I told him, "What is the question?"

-30-

No comments: