Sunday, November 03, 2019

Divided Nation

Stayed up and enjoyed SNL, which is by far the best political satire show on TV.

Then I slept 7 hours, only waking up once. So it seemed mysterious that when I got up I was shaking badly. A couple hours later, I am feeling steadier.

Nice phone calls from old friends. They make my day, along with the occasional personal visit. Home care nurses say my BP is back up to normal range.

***

What baffles me as a long-time journalist is what has happened to this country. How we've reached the point where a sizable portion of the population eschews fact in favor of conspiracy theories. How we've ended with an authoritative liar like Trump. How we've become a global joke. How all the good efforts of so many people have become obviated by insanity.

As a former Peace Corps Volunteer, how the efforts we made in Afghanistan half a century ago have been destroyed by war. It is the longest running war in U'S' history.

Even I, a confirmed news junkie, can barely watch the news.

What a sad era in U.S. history...

-30-

No comments: