Friday, November 08, 2019

"Girl, Disrupted"

It's hard for me to read. I can't see a book or magazine clearly enough through my glasses. But today I pushed my glasses back on my head and read the piece in the September 30th issue of  The New Yorker by Anna Wiener titled what I have titled this blog post.

I don't know Anna. But what she wrote resonated deeply with me. Granted, I am not a woman, which was the angle of her story. By contrast, I am an old white man -- the kind of person who supposedly is much more entitled than most in this world.

For years, I worked, just like her, in Silicon Valley. I had many of the same experiences. Some were sweet; some were alienating. I never made much money.

The overwhelming takeaway questions, both for her and for me, is what the hell is happening to our world? Is the technology we have embraced destroying our essential humanity?  What kind of future do we have?

I also read another piece about global warming, focusing on the young girl, Greta Thornberg, who is leading the global movement to try and save this planet. Greta says she has Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know her, but maybe that condition helps her tell the truth, straight out.

-30-



No comments: