Saturday, November 07, 2020

The Election is Still Over

 

Way back in the first seasons of SNL, Chevy Chase perfected the line that "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead," mocking the weeks-long media reports in 1975 of the impending death of Spain's leader.

We can only imagine, until tonight, what the current SNL writers are preparing about the never-ending suspense of who won this year's presidential election.

Meanwhile, the math is clear, There are four states of consequence yet to be called -- PA, GA, AZ and NV -- to go postal on you.

Biden is winning all four. Are importantly, his margin of victory in three of the four (all except AZ) is increasing each time a new load of ballots is counted. In most places, Biden is winning 60, 70, 80 percent of the remaining ballots, which means is victory margin will be greater than it is now.

In AZ, the President is still closing the gap, but mathematically not by a high enough percentage to win the state.

Thus Biden will end up with about 306 electoral votes and the White House will be his.

That's the reality. Other news follows:

With No Evidence of Fraud, Trump Fails to Make Headway on Legal Cases -- The president appeared to have little path through the courts to shift the outcome of the election, leaving him reliant on long shots like recounts or pressure on state legislatures. (NYT)

Advisers urge Trump to prepare for defeat — but maybe without conceding (WashPo)

The Electoral College Is Close. The Popular Vote Isn’t. -- The prolonged uncertainty in spite of the clear preference of the public has intensified some Americans’ anger at a system in which a minority of people can claim a majority of power. (NYT)

After testing positive for coronavirus, White House chief of staff told others not to disclose his condition (WashPo)

Biden’s Team Steps Up Transition Plans, Mapping Out a White House -- With Joe Biden leading in several important battleground states, his advisers and allies have moved rapidly to discuss hiring in critical roles, especially those overseeing the coronavirus response. (NYT)

Republicans are amplifying the president’s lies. This has never been more dangerous. (WashPo)

Senate Majority in Balance as Perdue Re-election Race Goes to Runoff in Georgia -- Mr. Perdue, a first-term Republican, narrowly failed to clear 50 percent of the vote, sending the race to a January runoff that, along with another runoff contest, will probably determine which party controls the Senate. (NYT)

Spanish-language misinformation dogged Democrats in U.S. election (Reuters)

U.S. sets another daily record for coronavirus cases as some states struggle (WashPo)

Europe’s Hospital Crunch Grows More Dire, Surpassing Spring Peak -- More than twice as many people in Europe are hospitalized with Covid-19 as in the United States, adjusted for population. (NYT)

U.S. Covid-19 cases are going to “explode” in the coming weeks, former FDA commissioner says (CNN)

***

This is dedicated to the one I love
While I'm far away from you my baby
I know it's hard for you my baby
Because it's hard for me my baby
And the darkest hour is just before dawn

Each night before you go to bed my baby
Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
And tell all the stars above
This is dedicated to the one I love

Life can never be exactly like we want it to be
I can be satisfied just knowing that you love me
There's one thing I want you to do especially for me
And it's something that everybody needs

Each night before you go to bed my baby
Whisper a little prayer for me my baby
And tell all the stars above
This is dedicated to the one I love

-- The Shirelles


-30-

No comments: