Thursday, December 30, 2021

Funny About That

Since I’ve been posting clips about the mental health impacts of Covid, and how we are all probably traumatized, it’s only fair that I also mention those entertainment options that might make us feel happier, at least for a while.

For example, “Emily in Paris” is fun. Lily Collins, the incredibly cute British actress with a size XS waist, is dressed like a model in every scene, and is the perfect example of why marketing campaigns work when they do.

This show’s many episodes are upbeat and made me smile.

But a few days later my bingeing hit bottom when I found myself watching “The Last Samurai” in Spanish with “live closed captioning” that read, and I quote: “Just buttons is perfect… so yeah…Toggle militar laser not DNA…there the location…I don’t want that Avistas Muchas.”

That’s one of those real-time technologies that still has a ways to go, but it did make me smile.

And I’ve spent just enough time working on films in Hollywood and as a guest on TV shows to know that it’s hard to be funny intentionally. By contrast, it’s incredibly easy to make mistakes, and they’re almost always funny.

In fact, our lives are filled with bloopers, and some of the best occur when we’re trying our hardest to appear serious and significant. 

Some 40 years ago, after the publication of our book, Circle of Poison, which was as serious and significant as anything I’ve done, my co-author Mark Schapiro and I were waiting to go on the NBC’s “Today” set at Rockefeller Center with Tom Brokaw and Jane Pauley.

Mark and I were very nervous. We were told that Brokaw was supposed to interview us alone, so Pauley got up to exit the set. But as she did so, she tripped over some wires and fell directly across my lap.

The director was already counting down to the moment we would be live, “five-four-three…” when she barely scrambled up off my lap and out of the camera’s view.

Seconds later we were “live” from New York for all the world to see. I’ve never viewed that clip myself and have always wondered just which facial expression I wore as I tried not to watch Pauley out of the corner of my eye. I’m sure my smile was frozen, as I tried to concentrate on Brokaw’s first question.

Frankly, I’m surprised I didn’t break into hysterical heaving right there on national TV. But before I knew it, the whole thing was over, and Schapiro and I retired to a nearby Irish bar.

That’s when we both started laughing.

TODAY:

 

No comments: