Friday, December 31, 2021

Goodbye, Hello

The most dramatic news story of the year for me was not Covid but the fall of Afghanistan to the Taliban, following the U.S. withdrawal, and the subsequent emergence of a young friend in Helmand Province as an eloquent witness to the consequences of those changes.

My friend is trapped, literally and figuratively. As an educated, thoughtful member of Afghan society, working for a government agency, supporting his family members, trying to aid the poorest people in his region, he is by any measure an upstanding human being.

He also is an emerging writer, increasingly able to articulate in English for the larger world what he sees happening day to day in his devastated country.

Western powers, led by the U.S., have dominated Afghanistan for decades, most recently since the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001. There was some good and a lot of bad about the U.S. presence.

The war waged by the U.S. military killed and injured thousands of people. But foreign aid also led to the education of millions of young Afghans, including my friend. Girls received advanced educations when they almost never had previously.

But now the educated urban population of Afghanistan suffers under the domination of the illiterate, xenophobic, ignorant, violent, religious extremists whose only claim to power is the successful guerrilla warfare they waged from the mountains against the foreign invaders.

They are not suitable leaders and have little idea how to run the country.

A new year begins tomorrow but there is not any real sense of hope at present that the situation in Afghanistan will improve during 2022.

But my friend and I will continue to publish our “conversations” in the hope that enough people will listen to eventually turn the tide and bring relief and freedom to the millions of trapped Afghan people.

In that regard, the top news story today (below) is terribly discouraging. The AP reports that the U.S. is denying humanitarian entry to hundreds of Afghans who wish to come here.

That needs to change. And that is my wish for the new year.

***

Since this is my last essay of the year, it would be nice if it were a good one, memorable even. But the truth is the end of December just slithered into sight at the last moment in silence; I somehow didn’t see it coming.

So here it is. And there it goes.

The truth is that overall 2021 was an extremely disappointing year on a personal level. While I’m grateful for my good health, which is never a given, and the love of my family, I can’t say I’m all that happy with myself.

Since it was my second full year of “retirement,” I’d hoped to discover a better work/life rhythm and have more positive impacts from my writing, especially about Afghanistan. That did not occur. I had other disappointments in my personal life as well. I’ll grade myself as a C- for the year.

That means there is plenty of room for improvement.

***

p.s. I am deeply grateful to the small group of people who have been trying to find ways of helping my friend in Afghanistan. He is too.

TODAY:

LYRICS:

“Hello, Goodbye”

The Beatles

You say, "Yes", I say, "No"
You say, "Stop" and I say, "Go, go, go"
Oh no

You say, "Goodbye" and I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello"

I say, "High", you say, "Low"
You say, "Why?" And I say, "I don't know"
Oh no

You say, "Goodbye" and I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello"

Why, why, why, why, why, why, do you
Say, "Goodbye, goodbye, bye, bye"?
Oh no

You say, "Goodbye" and I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello"

No comments: