Saturday, December 11, 2021

Public Disruptions

 


Riding public transportation lately, I’ve come to almost expect troublesome interactions. It is as if the people and the trains are infecting each other with a crazy virus — or maybe it’s just my bad timing.

But there seem to be a lot of people talking to themselves, which is fine, except when that talk turns loud and threatening to fellow riders. Two of the last three times I’ve ridden Bart, the system’s police have restrained men who were acting in ways other riders found threatening.

“Who in here called the police?” one officer proclaimed loudly as he entered the car where I was seated near a guy opening and closing some sort of large metal-encrusted band and waving it around in a way that felt menacing to the rest of us.

The police officer didn’t stop to talk to him but chose another fellow sitting nearby with a bunch of packages and a bicycle.

“Do you have a knife?” he asked.

“No, I don't.”

Apparently satisfied, the cop disappeared. The menacing fellow resumed waving his metal encrusted band until another officer eventually appeared. This one did confront the disrupter, which clearly angered him because he became more boisterous than ever.

He complained loudly about being harassed until the next stop, where he got off.

More recently, as I approached another Bart station, two cops were chasing a guy leaving the train until they caught him and forced him to the ground.

“Don’t hurt me,” he said over and over, before they took him away.

I do not know what mixture of actual crime, mental illness, good (or bad) law enforcement practices, surveillance, danger or confusion were involved with these events, but I do know in the end, one of the disruptions caused me to miss my connection.

Time was tight, so I exited the Bart system and ordered a Lyft instead.

SATURDAY’S HEADLINES:

No comments: