Saturday, January 29, 2022

Virtual Money

When talking to my financial advisor recently, I mentioned that my usual habit of holding some cash reserves as a ‘rainy day fund’ might be a bad idea this year given the current levels of inflation.

After all, cash will lose its value over time when prices are rising rapidly, as they are at present.

He agreed and so we reduced my cash reserves.

Then I brought up the opportunities presented by blockchains, NFTs, bitcoin, and web.3. (Definitions below). 

Should I be looking for investments in crypto currencies? I’d read that bitcoin might double in value over the coming year and there is plenty of chatter on various lists I follow.

“Direct investments in those are a bad idea,” he said. “Those stocks are going to be too volatile for a retiree like you. Leave them for younger people.”

He was right of course. Directly investing in bitcoin, which is a decentralized digital currency, and similar products might be a smart long-term investment for an adventurous 30-year-old, but not for me.

This conversation was a reminder how much one’s opportunity to improve one’s finances reflects not only current trends and your future expectations but your stage of life. I may well live long enough — say 25 more years — to make high-risk gambles on crypto sensible but very few actuaries would advise me to make them.

Actuaries, in case you don’t know one, specialize in analyzing statistics in order to calculate insurance risks and premiums. My parents wanted me to become an actuary when I went away to college, which is one of the reasons I initially majored in math.

But I soon discovered in Ann Arbor that I wasn’t suited to be a true math major, let alone an actuary. As for calculating risks, as a muckraker by trade I turned out to be a lot better at taking absurd risks than calculating or avoiding them.

I’m sure the actuary I could have become would have turned purple in the face by the risk/benefit equation that was my actual career. When it came to love, money and exposes, I didn’t exactly play any of it safe.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed enough success eventually (mainly by NOT spending money) that now I can have conversations about investment strategies that are not strictly theoretical. And while I should certainly not pour any money directly into crypto, there’s nothing wrong with indirect investments in, say, a company like Square.

Get it?

DEFINITIONS:

Web3 is an idea since 2014 for a new iteration of the Internet that implements decentralization, is currently celebrated by cryptocurrency enthusiasts, big tech companies, and venture capital firms.

blockchain is a sequential list of records, called blocks, that are linked together using cryptography. Each block contains a record of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data. The blocks form a chain, with each additional block reinforcing the ones before it. Therefore, blockchains cannot be altered retroactively.

An NFTor non-fungible token, is a unique digital representation of a good like a work of art. It's basically a certificate of authenticity or a deed and it is probably recorded on a blockchain.

Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency, without a central bank or single administrator, that can be sent from user to user on the peer-to-peer bitcoin network without the need for intermediaries.

TODAY’s HEADLINES:

No comments: