Thursday, April 07, 2022

The Free Agent

Late on the hottest day of the year so far, I visited the redesigned headquarters building of my old employer, two-and-a-half years after I retired. It was great -- great to be back, great to see old friends, great for things to feel semi-normal again.

It almost made me want to go back to work — almost.

But not quite. It turns out that this retirement thing is starting to grow on me. I might just be starting to sort of fall in love with it.

For years, when people around me talked about retiring, they got this glazed look in their eyes, as if they were dreaming of an idyllic life on a remote tropical island, sipping margaritas at sunset, reminiscing over a day at the golf course, or out on the fishing charter, and planning their next visit to some exotic historical sites.

Maybe that’s exactly what they were imagining, IDK. But not me. I always basically figured that I would end up working until I died. Not only because I knew there would always be plenty of need in my family for any money I could earn, but also because I loved many parts of my job — especially the people, the stories, the challenges of finding and breaking scoops now and then that might make a difference in peoples’ lives.

Furthermore, my concept of retirement —endless rounds of golf, fishing trips and travel — didn’t really hold all that great an appeal for me. Sure they might be fun for a while but they are also one way or another a lot of work of their own kind — plus they are expensive. 

But thinking back on it, what I really feared the most, I think, was that I would be bored to tears.

And the truth is I was bored, at first. I didn’t know what to do with myself with so many empty hours to fill, house stretching into days, weeks, months and ultimately years, who knows how many. I actually felt anxious about all of that free time.

But then slowly, without realizing it, I stated adjusting to the new routine. Yes, I could work if I felt like it but now entirely on my own terms. I like to read the news, so if I felt like sorting it, aggregating it, and publishing a list of headlines for fun, I could do that.

It might strike other people as weird but then again my last name is Weir and my first initial is d.

As the writing every single day — I’ve always liked to write, it relaxes me, and when it comes to story-telling, I’m probably at my very best.

It’s all one big chance, I realized, to tell my own story and the stories of others around me, without any real pressure or needing to impress anyone, hit a deadline, or follow someone else’s orders.

Finally, I might become the ultimate free agent who loves to do what people used to pay him to do. Only now he just does it, first thing every morning rain or shine for himself. (See how he did that — going from first to third?)

So who knows? I might even get good at this stuff, but it’s only the opening day of the baseball season, and I’m still getting used to being that retired ballplayer who still can pick up a bat and hit one out of the park now and then.

Or swing and miss. What is the difference? Nobody’s keeping score.

Today’s News (50):

  1. Russia’s failure to take down Kyiv was a defeat for the ages (AP)

  2. US sanctions target Putin's daughters; Russians retreat from Kyiv; Dutch seize 14 Russian yachts (USA Today)

  3. Right-wing battalion emerges as a controversial defender of Ukraine (WP)

  4. China calls for probe into Bucha killings, assigns no blame (AP)

  5. India condemned the killings of civilians in Bucha and called for an independent investigation, having earlier declined to explicitly criticize the invasion of Ukraine by its long-time partner Russia. (Reuters)

  6. Russian media campaign falsely claims Bucha deaths are fakes (AP)

  7. Perma-sanctions: Biden under pressure to punish Russia until Putin's gone (Politico)

  8. Ukraine’s Surprise Strike on Russian Navy Hobbles Putin’s Donbas Strategy (WSJ)

  9. Satellite companies join the hunt for Russian war crimes (Politico)

  10. Some Ukrainian Refugees Are Returning Home, Despite the Risks (NYT)

  11. Russians preparing for new push as Ukraine gathers its dead (AP)

  12. NATO ministers to meet as U.S. and E.U. move to toughen sanctions (WP)

  13. ‘We Will Kill You’: How Russia Silenced Its Antiwar Movement (WSJ)

  14. Residents Of Bucha Describe Atrocities Of Russian Troops (NBC)

  15. Garland: DOJ assisting international war crimes investigations in Ukraine (Politico)

  16. Ukraine Braces for Intense Battles in Eastern Regions (WSJ)

  17. At Least 200 Feared Dead in Apartments Hit by Russia, Officials Say (NYT)

  18. Ukraine Urges Civilians to Flee Looming Russian Offensive in Eastern Regions (WSJ)

  19. Artillery pounded key cities in Ukraine, as its president urged the West to act decisively in imposing new and tougher sanctions being readied against Russia in response to civilian killings widely condemned as war crimes. (Reuters)

  20. Zelensky Accuses Russia of Atrocities and Criticizes U.N.’s Inaction (NYT)

  21. The atrocities uncovered in Kyiv suburb Bucha appear to have taken the war to a new low and are already spurring Western countries to tighten Russian sanctions. But could the universal horror galvanize further action? HuffPost U.K. explains. [HuffPost]

  22. As Ukraine war drags on, Pentagon makes long-term plans for Europe (WP)

  23. Janet Yellen warns of 'enormous' economic repercussions from war in Ukraine (CNN)

  24. U.S. chipmaker Intel said it has suspended business operations in Russia, joining a slew of companies to exit the country. The company, which last month suspended shipments to customers in Russia and Belarus, said it has implemented business continuity measures to minimize disruption to its global operations. (Reuters)

  25. White House: US, allies to ban new investments in Russia (AP)

  26. Global trade falls 2.8% as Russia’s war in Ukraine hits container traffic (Financial Times)

  27. The Price of Privacy (Atlantic)

  28. Israeli government on brink of collapse after key lawmaker quits coalition (Axios)

  29. The Oklahoma House gave final approval to a bill that would make performing an abortion a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The bill heads to the desk of GOP Gov. Kevin Stitt, who has said he’d sign any anti-abortion bill. The push is part of a larger effort by Republicans nationwide to pass aggressive laws as the Supreme Court considers undercutting abortion rights that have been in place for almost 50 years. [AP]

  30. Abortion Pills, Once a Workaround, Are Now a Target (NYT)

  31. Big Oil execs defend high fuel prices at U.S. Congress hearing (Reuters)

  32. WHO: COVID cases and deaths continue to fall globally (AP)

  33. Long Covid-19 may remain a chronic condition for millions (CNN)

  34. Voices from Shanghai: The trials of living through a massive COVID lockdown (NPR)

  35. Scientists divided on need for 4th Covid shot after FDA quietly approved another round of boosters (CNBC)

  36. Protection against infection offered by fourth Covid-19 vaccine dose wanes quickly, Israeli study finds (CNN)

  37. May governor primaries pose big test for Trump’s control over the GOP (Politico)

  38. In jumpy flies and fiery mice, scientists see the roots of human emotions (NPR)

  39. The Biden administration is proposing a major policy change to Obamacare that it believes could help 200,000 uninsured Americans get comprehensive health plans, while making coverage cheaper for 1 million more. It’s something the White House can do on its own, without Congress. [HuffPost]

  40. The student loan pause has been extended until the end of the summer (NPR)

  41. Biden to erase defaults for millions of federal student loan borrowers (Politico)

  42. Sun spits filaments out from 'canyon of fire' as aurora forecast remains strong (Space.com)

  43. NASA Astronaut Mark Vande Hei On How Ukraine Crisis Impacted Partnership With Russians (NBC)

  44. Vertical Farms Expand as Demand for Year-Round Produce Grows (NYT)

  45. Actually, humanity can still avoid climate catastrophe (Edit Bd/WP)

  46. Climate change is causing the fungal infection Valley Fever, coined for its presence in the San Joaquin Valley, to worsen in California and spread to other states. (LAT)

  47. Ancient cemetery of flying reptiles unearthed in Chile’s Atacama desert (Guardian)

  48. Fundraising Emails For and Against Chesa Boudin Push Alternative Views of San Francisco (SFC)

  49. Titanic survivors' items to go under the hammer (BBC)

  50. Hillary Clinton Receives $225,000 Speaking Fee For Telling Grandson Bedtime Story (The Onion)

Today’s Lyrics:

“No More One More Time”

Sung by Jo-El Sonnier

Songwriters: Troy Seals / Dave Kirby

I should have done what I'm gonna do a long time ago

Givin' you up, you got me down to an all time low

I've been a fool, been a fool lovin' your kind

I'm gonna try something new to get over you this time

There'll be no more one more time

Baby I might be crazy but Ill never call you baby anymore

You had your last second chance at this old heart of mine

And there'll be no more one more time

I'd like to say, but I can't say that it's been fun

You had my heart locked away in the dark and it could use some sun

I'm gonna miss you a lot, Honey I've got to let you go

So go on and try, maybe you'll cry, you'll never, never, never know 

No comments: