Wednesday, August 31, 2022

New Old Book



 One of the oddly satisfying things about a long writing career is when one of your old pieces of work gets rediscovered. Thirty-six years ago, I first published the book, “The Bhopal Syndrome,” with the International Organization of Consumers Union in Penang, Malaysia.

The following year, I published an American edition with Sierra Club Books in San Francisco. When The New York Timesreviewed the book, it noted that it was based on “the long-term ecological notion that we’re borrowing this planet from our grandchildren.”

I didn’t have any grandchildren at the time, but I was proud of the book when it appeared. Many people and groups helped me produce it, so many that it took two-and-a-half pages to list all of them. I traveled to a number of countries, including Indonesia, Taiwan, Mexico and Japan, with additional reporting with associates in India, South America and Europe.

Anyway, it was an enormous project while I was also executive director at the Center for Investigative Reporting, teaching journalism at the Graduate School of Journalism at U-C, Berkeley, and working on screenplays in Hollywood.

The book was well received but went out of print in the 90s. Although I’ve gotten queries about it over the years, usually around the anniversary of the horrendous industrial accident at Bhopal in December 1984, for a long time the book has been mainly just a memory.

But then Tuesday, after more than quarter century out of print, “The Bhopal Syndrome” came back into circulation thanks to an imprint known was Routledge Revivals.

Remembering that review in the Times, at that time the concept of borrowing the planet from my grandchildren was strictly theoretical for me. Now I have eight and I know that concept was right. Maybe some day one of them will pick up this new book and give it a read.

LATEST LINKS:

No comments: