Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Afghan.45: Land of Despair

Note: This is the latest in an ongoing series of discussions I have been having with a young Afghan friend about life under Taliban rule. I am concealing his identity for his safety.

***

Dear David:

I have been struggling with depression for a long time, at least since I was a teenager. Now as I am entering my third decade of life, I find I am depressed four or five days a week. 

I have tried to discover the root of this suffering. That's probably why I got into philosophy and literature and started reading so many books, especially novels. Each author made me aware of one of the causes of my depression. Schopenhauer, Camus, and Dostoevsky had the greatest impact, although I have not yet read all of their works. In the process I have realized that my suffering is rooted in poverty and deprivation, personal failures, and a pervasive sense of despair. 

Poverty is commonplace in Afghanistan. According to WFP's statistics, published on Twitter a few days ago, 9 out of 10 people in Afghanistan cannot get enough food to eat. That is true for my family. Our inability to meet our basic needs is probably the main cause of my depression. 

Meanwhile there have been many failures in my life. As a student in high school and college, I did not succeed in being able to study in my favorite field, business administration, which led me to underachieve in academics generally.

After school, I applied to work in international institutions more than 50 times, but due to corruption, I was only shortlisted for the exam once or twice. I never got one of those jobs.

My emotional failures cannot be ignored either. They have also been common in my life. When I look back on my memories, I remember mainly a series of failures and humiliations. 

Everyone has dreams and aspirations that they strive to achieve. For those of us who fail to reach any of our dreams, despair easily overwhelms us. My main personal dream has always been quite small but still unattainable: It is to escape from this place. 

I wish to escape from a country where hunger, religious beliefs, and crazy people have joined hands and torn apart the peaceful and peaceful society we were trying to build. 

But escape seems to be impossible.

This is not a complaint. This is the reality of an Afghan's life. Any Afghan who wishes to save himself from this misery feels as I feel. 

It may be hopeless to get out but I will never stop trying because I am grateful for the things I do have – a nice family, kind friends, a healthy body, and someone whom I love.

***

Note: A recent survey of mental health in Afghanistan documentd a “highly traumatized population.”

NEWSLINKS:

 

No comments: