Saturday, October 15, 2022

Words and Numbers

 In a coffee shop with an old friend on Friday, we found ourselves speculating about the intersection between math and language. It is the peculiar place on the left-right brain spectrum where my mind often settles, for some reason.

When it comes to math, I like the logic and the specificity, and the certainty that there will be an answer, once enough patience kicks in.

When it comes to language, I like the cadence and trajectory, but also the Old Germanic specificity of English. Well, actually, I also like the layers of meaning and adaptability of English, thanks to the Norman invasion and other historical events that altered the course of the Anglo-Saxon dialect with French diversions.

Maybe, when it comes to it, what I really like most about English is using it to achieve ambiguity, which is quite unlike math. Whenever I can convey multiple meanings with my words, that suits me just fine.

There is a very specific, math-like reason for this. As a journalist, I prefer to avoid being placed in a position where I’m expected to tell people what they should think. That is simply not my job.

My preference is to present the facts as we’ve discovered them to be and let my readers draw their own conclusions.

That’s what I aspire to. Let the math of language meeting the language of math. Where certainty meets its polar opposite. Of course I fail as often as I succeed. It’s the law of averages.

NEWSLINKS:

No comments: