Thursday, November 10, 2022

Bullet Dodged, For Now

 Tuesday was a good day for me, personally. I’ll get to that presently. But on a collective level, Tuesday was a great day for everybody. It brought much better news politically than many observers had predicted.

The most prominent election-deniers lost their bid to win office, particularly in the swing states. This means that the worst case scenario — a breach of the integrity of the 2024 presidential election —may have been averted, for now.

Republicans appear to have won the House but only by a handful of seats. The problem now for the new Speaker-to-be, Kevin McCarthy, is that his caucus contains so many right-wing extremists, election-deniers, and Trumpers that it will be extremely difficult to control.

Meanwhile, control of the Senate remains too close to call and may remain in doubt until a runoff in Georgia next month.

Historically, in a midterm election like this year’s, the party out of power typically gains many seats in Congress and the statehouses. But perhaps due to the shadow of Trump, Republicans fell way short of that kind of accomplishment.

What is the bottom line? More gridlock when it comes to legislation, which makes President Biden’s major victories earlier this year all that much more important, because they may not be repeated over the coming period.

But the most significant accomplishment is that voters largely rejected Trump and his favored candidates. The trendlines are all wrong for Trump and Trumpism.

And that my friends is a blessing. 

***

The reason Tuesday was a good day for me personally was that for the first time in over three years, I was able to drive myself to a doctor’s appointment many miles from where I live.

The weather was terrible that day, windy and rainy. As I reached the Bay Bridge, traffic slowed to a crawl and the windshield fogged to the point of near-invisibility. At that point, it helped that I had grown up in Michigan and learned how to navigate through bad weather conditions as a boy.

Hours later, back home, I felt a small sense of pride that despite my serious health problems in 2019, I’ve been able to fight my way back to the health status I enjoyed before my stroke.

On that point, I was overjoyed to see a fellow stroke survivor, John Fetterman, win his election in Pennsylvania. Forget politics. His opponent had vilified and ridiculed Fetterman during the campaign as he struggled to recover from that stroke.

In this case, the voters sided with the good guy. God bless America!

NEWSLINKS:

No comments: