Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Dumb Questions

 On Sunday afternoon, while trying to make polite conversation with my four-year-old granddaughter, I asked her a dumb question: “Did you have school this week?”

“No,” she replied sleepily. 

This surprised me so I followed up. “Why?” 

She got a faraway look. “I don’t know. It’s probably summer break.” 

It was at this point that I realized the problem. We were talking late on a Sunday afternoon, near the end of an active and eventful weekend, during which her family had hosted lots of visitors and also had gone on a beach outing.

From her perspective, she hadn’t been in school for any of that.. And at the age of four, she’s probably still in the process of working out what a week is, actually, and how it differs from a weekend.

As for the issue of whether it’s summer as or not right now, that may well be one of the disadvantages of growing up in California. You’re never quite sure what season it is out here.

The incident reminded me of exercises I used to conduct in my classes for journalism students on interviewing techniques. I’d recommend that reporters should always try to be aware of how the structure of their questions might influence and sometimes even dictate the answers they receive in return.

Of course, many reporters elicit specific answers deliberately, especially with bad guys. (Just watch “60 Minutes.”) 

But the best reporters try to elicit the truth, as opposed to the answer they want to hear. There’s often a very big difference.

Then again, it’s worth noting the unexpected value of simply asking dumb questions, in journalism or in life.

Which leads me back to the conversation I had with my granddaughter. Perhaps a smarter question would have been “What do you do at school?” But then I might never have learned that this is summer break.

LINKS:

Lyrics

“For A Day Like Today”

By Lee Hazlewood 

There's a dream I've been saving for a day like today
Yellow trees, Indian waters flowing softly on their way
There's a dove in the treetops singing peace on the wind
Again again and again

It's just a dream I've been saving for a day like today
There's some hope I've been saving for a day like today

Love will come, love will conquer every heart that beats today
And it may not be perfect, but at least we can try
You and I, you and I, you and I

It's just some hope I've been saving for a day like today
There's a song I've been saving for a day like today

And the words tell a story of our youngens far away
Bring them home, sings the chorus, for they're much too young to die
Must they die, must they die, must they die
It's just a song I've been saving for a day like today
Bring them home, sings the chorus, for they're much too young to die
Must they die, must they die, must they die

It's just a song I've been saving for a day like today
Just a dream I've been saving for a day like today
Just some hope I've been saving for a day like today

No comments: