Sunday, January 22, 2023

Comes Now the Robot

That new AI sensation, ChatGPT, is exciting the tech community and scaring everybody else, so I decided to take a closer look at it.

My intent was to see how up-to-date its content-scraping capacity is at present and the answer became obvious rather quickly.

When I asked the app to write a report on the status of Afghan women, it stated that “Afghan women have faced many challenges throughout the country's history, but they have made significant strides in recent years.” No mention at all of highly publicized moves by the Taliban to virtually ban women from all roles in public life, including jobs or the ability to get an education.

This was a bit perplexing, so I asked the app to produce a current “top news stories” report. Here is how it responded:

“I am sorry, I am a language model and I don't have access to the current news stories. My knowledge cut off is 2021, I can give you information about the events that happened before that date. Can I help you with anything else?”

So there you have one key weakness of the app. In case any teachers out there are worried about students using ChatGPT to “write” essays, I suggest including a recent news hook as part of the assignment. At least for now, the app’s essay writing tool won’t be able to access any updates from the past couple years.

To confirm this assumption, I asked the app about the late Queen Elizabeth. Here is what it reported back:

“Queen Elizabeth II's reign began on February 6, 1952 and is currently ongoing. She is the longest-reigning current monarch in the world, having surpassed the previous record held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria…”

Actually, as anyone not hiding in Tora Bora knows, the queen passed away last September 8th.

Even a cheating student would catch that one, presumably, so requiring more subtle news updates in your assignment is advisable.

The concerns over cheating aside, I’m sure there are many creative uses of AI in a classroom setting, and maybe even for journalsts. I’ll try to look into that in a future column.

LINKS:

LYRICS:

“Braille”

Written by Lisa Margaret Hannigan

For you, I leave my light on
To do its best against the storm.
And you came in like the tide and
I knew that we could keep each other warm.

You bring crocosmia and fuschias,
And I, I sing your name into the night.
A king of salt and stones, your compass,
It swings from you to me tonight.

We'll swim without a word between us,
Our breath held in.
We reel in love in the ocean,
Braille on our skin, on our skin

I fill a glass with what you've gathered
They wilt against the window pane
In the morning sees you off with nets to scatter
You will come in with the tide again

We swim without a word between us
Our breath held in
We read enough in the rush of
Braille on our skin, on our skin

We swim without a word between us,
Our breath held in.
We read enough in the rush of

Braille on our skin, on our skin. 

No comments: