Sunday, May 07, 2023

Continuity



When I was a boy, and ill with rheumatic fever, somebody sent me a small packet of postage stamps and a beginner’s collection album. My recovery took a matter of months, first in the hospital, then at home, mainly on the couch in the living room, where I could measure time with coming and going of freight trains beyond the corn fields stretching to the horizon of Michigan’s fertile Saginaw Valley.

At some point every day my mother would bring me a cup of tea, sometimes with a piece of home-made shortbread.

I loved the stamps, and used them to expand my then-limited knowledge of history and geography.

One noticeable item in stamps from all corners of the world was the image of young Queen Elizabeth II. This was the 1950s, and she had recently ascended to the throne upon the death of her father, King George VI, whose headshot still appeared on some of the older stamps in my nascent collection.

I remembered all this late Friday night and early Saturday morning as I found myself watching the televised coronation of King Charles III at Westminster Abbey. The formal proceedings had a surprising emotional impact on me, given I am not English, do not believe in royalty, and would be unlikely to stand out in the rain for hours to witness an archaic religious ritual.

Why then did this ceremony touch me at all?

I’m roughly the same vintage as Charles; my mother was born in Scotland and therefore was originally a subject of the crown, but I was born in Detroit and grew up as a first-generation American in a country that famously rebelled against the King 250 years ago.

On my father’s side, our ancestors came from Ireland and have been in North America since the 1830s. My father immigrated to the U.S. from Canada in the 1920s.

It’s difficult to explain, but as I grow older and the world continues to change at what often seems a confounding pace, I sometimes long for a simpler time, when I was back on that couch, sorting my stamps, and waiting for that next cup of tea.

Somewhere deep in my Scots-Irish DNA, I may just long for the comfort that comes from a bit of continuity in these discontinuous times.

LINKS:

No comments: