Monday, June 12, 2023

Afghan Report 62: Crushing Our Dreams

(This is the latest report from my Afghan friend about conditions inside his country.)

Dear David:

Recently, I applied for the position of Education Officer at an international NGO. I was shortlisted for the written test and went to a nearby city to take it. Luckily, I successfully passed the test and interview and they called me to come to their office and sign the job contract next week. As the salary is good and the office is near to my family, I became very happy. 

Then yesterday, the HR officer called me again and told me to not resign my current job. I asked the reason and she said that the Taliban had just banned all educational activity by non-governmental organizations. 

In response, UNICEF announced that if the educational activities of international institutions stop, more than half a million children will be deprived of their education. 

Personally, this had a deep negative impact on me. After graduating from university, my dream has always been to work in one of the international organizations related to my field of study, which is education. For years I tried to learn English, and I improved my speaking and writing skills. This dream had just come true and I had managed to become a member of one of these organizations when the Taliban extinguished my hope and ruined my many years of hard work. 

It is as if someone built a house over several years and someone else finds and destroys it overnight. 

Afghan women will be the main victims of the Taliban's decision. They are restricted from all sides, they cannot work and are deprived of education. For the millions of Afghan women who endured years of hardship to study and fulfill their dreams, the Taliban is murdering and burying those dreams.

(No links today.) 

No comments: