Thursday, August 10, 2023

Conversing With Teens

 From 2012.

In the event you are not a parent of teenagers, here is what it is like when you are driving them across town, as they listen to music on their iPhones.

"How was school today?"

(no answer) 

Then one of them removes a headphone and says, "Wassup?"

"How was your school day, today?"

"Cool. Nothin' much."

Headphones back in place, they retreat again from your grasp.

A few blocks later, you forget and say something else, like, "You know, I heard on NPR that..." and start telling them about a news story that might interest them.

"Wassup?" one of them says anew.

"It's okay, I just...never mind."

As you continue driving on in silence, hearing the songs blasting into their headphones, worrying about long-term hearing damage, suddenly one of them turns off their music and sweetly turns to you.

"How was your day, Dad?"

That is unexpected, so you stumble at first.

"Well, I was busy. No, not really busy. I mean, I drove your sister to the SPCA camp, early. Then I came back home and went back to sleep. Had some strange dreams, actually. Woke up, did some work. Posted to my tech blog. Then I heard this story on NPR..."

As you ramble on, keeping an eye on the traffic in front of you, you slowly realize he has replaced his headphones and no longer is listening to you.

"Nothing special, in the end," you hear yourself sign off.

LINKS:

TOP STORY TODAY: Court Records Reveal Names of Active East Bay Priests Accused of Abuse (KQED)

No comments: