Monday, August 07, 2023

Pretty

I saw a friend yesterday. We went to a cafe, a new one to me that she found by researching online. She told me it was a surprise. We talked. We ate our food. We talked some more. It was warm enough to leave our jackets aside but not so warm to be sleeveless, which she was.

My friend is pretty. She is 35 and special on many levels, and I love spending time with her. It made yesterday a very nice day for me. This was the first time in six months that we’ve seen each other.

She’s a bit sad right now but that will soon change, I trust. She deserves happiness. We all do.

After she dropped me back home and we hugged goodbye, I suddenly remembered something about a girlfriend I had 20 years ago. When she was in the bathroom, getting ready to join me in bed, I would lay on her side of the bed warming it up.

She said I was like a furnace because I was so warm. That always stuck with me and it made me feel special. She also said my belly was like a pillow. That made me feel good too, when I probably should actually have been thinking about losing some weight. 

So many women have made so many men feel good so much of our lives. But too much of the time we act like jerks.

You know what I miss most now? Having someone curl up beside me, her head on my shoulder, and me being her furnace. And serving as her pillow.

But luckily there are many kinds of love. Early in my second marriage, we had a son. I used to carry him around and sing a song to him. It was often playing in the background on our CD player. It’s by the Cranberries and has simple lyrics. The only real line is “You’re so pretty.”

He’s a big strapping man now. I wonder if he remembers. In my eyes he is perfect.

LINKS:

Today’s Lyrics

“Pretty” by the Cranberries

You're so pretty the way you are
You're so pretty the way you are
And you have no reason
To be so insolent to me
You're so pretty the way you are

La, la
You got to say it if you want to
But you won't change me

La, la
You got to say it if you want to
But you won't change me

You're so pretty the way you are
You're so pretty the way you are
And you have no reason
To be so insolent to me
You're so pretty the way you are

La, la
You got to say it if you want to
But you won't change me
La, la
You got to say it if you want to

But you won't change me 

No comments: