Sunday, February 11, 2024

Passing It On

 One recent night, my three-year-old granddaughter asked me to draw a picture of her as a “fairy warrior.” This was immediately after she’d asked me to draw a picture of her as a queen.

She is an inquisitive child, to put it mildly, and she urged me to tell her the stories behind the drawings.

It was close to bedtime, and we were both tired. And though I extricated myself from the queen story rather quickly, the fairy warrior request was another matter entirely.

First, I wasn’t familiar with fairy warriors so it sort of threw me momentarily for a loop. But as I improvised a response to her request, I felt myself warming to the topic.

Since the fairy warrior in my story was of course a stand-in for my granddaughter, I found myself inventing various scenarios whereby she could act valiantly on behalf of her villagers. In one part, a vicious wolf showed up at the edge of the village, determined to eat some of the children.

The fairy warrior used her large staff-like wand to ward off the wolf and banish it to the wilderness where it could do no further harm. The wolf simply disappeared into a swarm of harmless bubbles.

In another part of our story, the fairy warrior gathered cherries from a cherry tree and chocolates from a chocolate tree and bananas from a banana tree to feed the hungry people of her village.

Then, best of all, she led all the younger kids, including her baby brother, on various expeditions to the mountain near to where they all lived, exploring the natural wonders and bringing back descriptions of what they’d seen to entertain everybody back home.

Thinking back on this after she went to bed, I knew there was nothing particularly original about any of the stories I’d spun, but that also they were instinctively based one way or another in my aspirations for her future.

As she matures, I hope she uses her considerable intelligence and charm for the good of others. Maybe that will involve fighting off the bad guys in some way or feeding the hungry. Or maybe it will be as a scientist or a reporter, helping others in her community better understand the world outside of their immediate surroundings.

After she went to bed, I couldn’t help spinning more scenarios for her fairy warrior self because I knew what would be coming. Sure enough, the next morning there she was, ready to go: “Tell me some more stories about me as the fairy warrior, Grandpa.”

This could be the start of something special for us as she does her job and I do mine. She is pulling an imagined future out of me and I’m helping her craft a set of shared hopes and ideals.

It’s our way of passing it on.

(I originally published this two years ago, The girl in the story is now five. She is an avid reader now but still loves to be told stories.)

HEADLINES:

No comments: