Friday, April 19, 2024

Ceteris Paribus

 For one semester at the University of Michigan I was an Econ major, but I got hung up on the Latin phrase meaning "all other things being equal," which kept showing up in every economic model we studied.

When I (somewhat rebelliously) wrote a paper arguing that in real life all other things never stay equal, my professor was not amused and gave me a D. That was the end of my potential career as an economist.

I understood, of course, the concept of modeling and the need to control for random factors that could affect the outcome, since I’d also been a math major for a minute. But similar concerns about reality’s messiness compared to math’s formulaic purity derailed my academic trajectory in that subject as well. Quod Erat Demonstrandum if you will.

In the end, I found that I was better suited to working with words, so it was journalism for me, which of course is completely obsessed with the real world and all of its messiness. But the two subjects that came up over and over again in my journalism career were economics and math.

I often wished that I’d paid better attention in those classes as the stories I covered often had elements that put my memory to the test. 

Accordingly, years later when I was teaching journalism at U-C, Berkeley, Stanford and SF State, I found myself advising students to take classes in math and economics because they would probably need them in their future careers.

Mindful of my own academic record, I also told my students if they just couldn’t stand the way all those “other things” never seemed to add up the way they were supposed to, maybe being a journalist was indeed the right job for them.

Finis.

HEADLINES:

No comments: