Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Moving On

I remember my father's advice about women from many years ago in the form of a cliche: "There are many fish in the sea." He loved cliches, but since I never listened to either of my parents about my choices for mates; nor for that matter to anyone else, any wisdom he may have had to offer fell on deaf ears (this apple can still fall close to its tree.)

Women, as we all know, are nurturing, sensitive, and emotionally giving. Men, by contrast, are selfish, ego-driven, and mainly interested in sex and power, not to mention cars, guns, beer, sports, gambling, and other sordid stuff. Women love clothes, gossip, intimacy, family, home, cooking and children. They are loyal and trusting, rarely betray their partners, and often are the last to know when they have been betrayed.

Men, however, tend to be domineering, controlling, secretive, and easily convinced to stray. A certain field of science holds says men are driven biologically to spread their seed widely, while women seek the comfort and stability of a mate with sufficient resources to raise their children in this still hazardous world.

Women are exhibitionists; men are voyeurs.

When you start to think about it, the cliches are endless; the conventional wisdom suffocating. I don't know that my life experiences have anything at all to add to the pile of crap that we have inherited from our culture, but I have questions. What good are all these lovely fish, and I do see that they are lovely, to the broken-hearted? Are you supposed to wait and see what the tide brings in?

That's called treading water. If you do that, try not to drown in the process...

No comments: